Sunday, June 29, 2014

More yarn = More starts

I started two new knitting projects - a double seed stitch blanket and a lacy shawl. I've never worked with lace weight yarn before and it is proving to be more challenging than I like at the moment. I've put that one on hold for now. The blanket is a joy to knit. I just wish I knew how I screwed up so badly only 2 rows in. I'm trying to get my nerve up to undo and restart the silly thing.

The obvious solution, of course, is to buy more yarn and start yet another project! I, as usual, can't just buy stash for one project, I have to buy for multiple projects. I'm only starting one project though.

I picked up some Cascade 220 Superwash Paints for a scarf for my dad. Several years ago he asked me for a red and black scarf. I crocheted him one last year, but he doesn't like it much. He says it curls up on him and turns into a rope around his neck. So I'm trying again with a Tweed Stitch Scarf.


I'm loving the tweed stitch! It's quick and easy and I can recognize the stitch pattern as I knit. I'm still learning how to recognize stitches (and mistakes) in my work.


However, I am a little pissed about the seed stitch border. I'm following the pattern, but it looks like a line of stockinette stitch. See:


The pattern reads as follows (it's a free pattern and I linked to the original above):

Row 1:  Slip 1, P1, K1 (these 3 stitches are the seed stitch border), K1, *yf, sl1, yb, k1*; repeat between *’s to last 3 stitches (Row 1 of Tweed Stitch), K1, P1, K1 (seed stitch border).
Row 2:  Slip 1, K1, P1, (seed stitch border) Purl to last 3 stitches (Row 2 of Tweed Stitch), P1, K1, P1 (seed stitch border).
Row 3.  Slip 1, P1, K1(seed stitch border), *yf, sl1, yb, k1*, repeat between *’s to last 3 stitches (Row 3 of Tweed Stitch), K1, P1, K1 (seed stitch border).
Row 4:  Slip 1, K1, P1, (seed stitch border) Purl to last 3 stitches (Row 4 of Tweed Stitch), P1, K1, P1 (seed stitch border).
I am not happy with the border at all. I tried knitting a swatch where I invert the Row 1 & Row 2 and Row 3 & Row 4 border order. It still doesn't work. Anyone have any idea why this isn't working for me?

I can't decide if I should continue knitting with the messed up border or if should I undo everything and restart it either with a fix for the seed stitch border or with a different border. Opinions?

I also picked up yarn for a tweed stitch scarf for me - Manos del Uruguay silk blend. So gorgeous!


I definitely need to figure out the border so I can get my hands busy with this stuff!

1 comment:

  1. How about no knit border just knit the pattern and when done crochet a border around it.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete