Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thinking About Stitches ...

Once I've completed one of the two projects I am currently working on (which won't be anytime soon), I plan on starting one of my HAED (Heaven and Earth Designs) patterns. These patterns call for 1 over 1 stitches using either 1 or 2 strands of floss (personal preference) on 25 or 28 count linen. I've never attempted a project of this magnitude before. I usually work on 14 or 16 count Aida (which is quite different), and my stitches are always with 2 strands of floss and are larger stitches.

I happened to have some extra linen laying around, so I tried out some stitches on linen to see how they would look.
In the lower left, I've done full cross stitches over 2 with 2 strands of floss on 28 count linen. To me they look like regular stitches. (For my non-stitching readers ... 14 count Aida is equivalent to stitching over 2 on 28 count linen). Above them in the top left corner are over 1 cross stitches with 2 strands of floss, and these look like little pillows to me. I can barely tell that they are X's. The stitches on the lower right corner are over 2 using 1 strand of floss, and while they look nice, I find the fabric coverage to be lacking. Finally, we have the top right corner, where I've done over 1 cross stitches using 1 strand of floss. I think these stitches look amazing. They are insanely tiny, but very neat and they have great fabric coverage.

The HAED patterns I am planning on doing (Catch a Falling Star and Oak King) have 200,000+ and 300,000+ stitches respectively. (The bonus is that these patterns have no backstitch, half stitch, french knots, or blended colours. I HATE blending colours in the needle. Bleh!) It's daunting, but these patterns allow for such incredible detail! I think they are breath-taking.

But first ... I have other projects to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment