I tried to resist, really I did, but in the end I caved and joined in on the year-long hardanger SAL over at Mabel Figworthy's Fancies. I'm a little behind because I joined late (almost the end of January) and had to wait to visit my LNS to kit up. There are 12 designs (one released on the first of every month) and I've decided to stitch them in groups of four and make them into pillows for three of my nieces for next Christmas using their favourite colours.
I have only tried hardanger once before in January 2012 as one of my starts in the Ultimate Crazy January Challenge. It took a bit to get used to but they really do stitch up pretty quickly. This one is stitched on 25 ct white lugana using DMC 797, 799, and white in perle #5, perle #8, and regular cotton floss. I started and finished January last night (I gave up a lot of sleep for this one).
I'm not a fan of the tulip or leaf-like satin stitch motifs, but I LOVED stitching the star in the center. I also tried colonial knots for the very first time (normally I just do French knots which I finally "mastered" a few years ago). I had a hard time making the colonial knots without staring at the diagram for wrapping the thread, but all eight of them went off without a hitch. I think they look pretty good! I loved doing the lazy daisy (also called detached chain) and herringbone stitches. Those flowers turned out really well. I think they might be my favourite part of this design.
I still need to do the February design, but I'll be taking that with me to the stitching retreat next weekend. I can't wait!! Weeeee!