I gathered all of the necessary materials (dye, fabric, measuring spoons, disposable containers, rubber gloves, etc) and gave it a go despite feeling very in the dark about what I should be doing.
I must say I'm pretty damn proud of the results. My fabrics still need names (suggestions welcome), but I didn't keep recipe notes this time around, so I doubt I could replicate these. Next time though, since the initial thrill might have worn off by then, I will take copious notes.
I used either 28 or 32 ct lugana, RIT dyes, and low water immersion techniques.
First try on 32 ct:
I underestimated the strength of the purple dye, and it overwhelmed the initial teal colour I used. This is the most "tie dyed" look that I got.
Second try (28 ct):
I just used purple dye for this one. The dyeing technique is neat -- you cram wet fabric into a small plastic container, pour the diluted dye mixture over top, smoosh it around, then microwave it for one minute. Then you just rinse it out in cold water, wash it in warm water, and rinse again till the water runs clear.
Third try (32 ct):
Just teal dye, but this time I used a small plastic baggie instead of a plastic container. (No microwaving in this technique. I just let it sit in the baggie for 30 minutes.) It seems to give a much more subdued mottled look. In person, this is a much brighter, fresher teal. I can totally see a Mirabilia mermaid on this fabric.
Fourth try (28 ct):
Fifth try (32 ct):
Sixth try (32 ct):
I can't wait to dye again! Now to figure out what to do with all of this scrumptious fabric!!